Following a first comprehensive renovation and extension by Stemmle Architekten in 1987, a change of user necessitated a further renovation of this music school. The focus was on renewing all the surface finishes. All the work was carried out in accordance with the requirements of the conservation authorities and the collaboration with them was most rewarding.
Erected around 1900 this building– popularly known as “Konsi” – is in a prestigious location above Zurich’s core city, Niederdorf. Built in a historicist style, it is reminiscent of a French palace. Now more than one hundred years old, the building is an important and living testimony to private educational policy and to the forward-looking urban development of the previous century.
Every intervention required precise consideration, along with a great deal of care and sensitivity to ensure that the space could be renovated as true to the original as possible while yet conveying a new splendour. A restrained low-key renovation was called for. As well as renovating the rooms and preparing them for new users, the restoration also included replacing all the windows, renewing the lighting and electrical services throughout the building, as well as the design of a contemporary signage system.
show on map