In the course of renovating the Sihlpost in Zurich the spacious counter hall of the PTT was fundamentally reconceived. The offices of the SBB on the upper floors were renovated within the existing structure.
The 123-metre-long building from 1930 with its prominent staircase tower stands directly beside Zurich Main Station on the River Sihl. It was erected by the Bräm brothers and is listed in the communal inventory of protected buildings in the City of Zurich. The clients were Swiss Railways, while from the very start part of the ground floor was rented to the PTT (Post, Telephone and Telegraph Office).
After having planned a new operations building for the Sihlpost in 1986, the partnership of Fischer Architekten and Stücheli was commissioned again in 1994 – this time to redesign the old Sihlpost. SBB and PTT were the joint clients. While the SBB wanted to have the offices on the upper floors renovated, the main focus of the PTT was on replanning the counter hall in their Main Post Office.
The concept was based on making minimal interventions so that the original windows as well as parts of the interior design could be preserved. On the ground floor the counter hall was fundamentally reconceived. The renovation of the offices was done within the existing, generous spatial structure. Individual, carefully designed fittings augment the spatial structure.
In 2015 the Sihlpost was redesigned yet again, this time by Max Dudler.
show on map